Medicine balls have been used from many years in workout routines. But do you know why people use medicine balls? Do you know the benefits of working with medicine balls? If not, then this article may help you to understand some of the benefits of working with medicine balls.
When medicine balls comes to mind, usually an image of an old brown, tattered leather ball stranding in some corner of a gym comes to mind. Your gym teacher probably had you throwing the ball around to each other (busted noses were common).
Today’s medicine balls come in with shapes, sizes and colors. Some also have handles. Medicine balls provide versatility which is not possible with any other gym equipment.
Here are some of the benefits of using medicine balls in your workouts:
• They provide limitless varieties in your routine as you can do variety of exercises with them. You can roll them, toss them, bounce them and can do many free weight exercises with them. It is exceedingly difficult to get bored with this and people of all age groups can use them comfortably. Also, everyone from beginners to elite athletes can effectively use them in their routines.
• You can incorporate other people into your workouts. You can roll it, bounce it and toss it with many other people and hand it off to each other. This makes it even more creative and amusing when you use it with other people as a game.
• Another benefit of working with medicine balls is that they are one of the few proven fitness accessories that will work your core from all angles. Side to side movements, front to back movements, angled movements, etc., etc will do wonders for your core muscles.
• For improving the performance in a particular sport or activity, medicine balls are also extremely helpful. Bouncing them back and forth as well as tossing them along with the partner can improve eye hand coordination. For golf and tennis swings movement, tossing the ball improves your obliques and hips that are used for twisting movements.
• Medicine balls come in various sizes and colors with totally modern appearance from the one mentioned earlier. There are also different textures with different balls. Some of them are smooth and some have different textures to help improve gripping the balls.
• There are typically two types of medicine balls. “Live” medicine balls are those that bounce when you throw them on the ground. “Dead” medicine balls will not bounce when you throw them on the ground.
• There are also lots of variations in weights. Some balls can go up to 50lbs! Medicine balls come in various sizes and weights; hence, you can select according to your strength to handle such ball. As they bounce easily and can be tossed around, they are better for entertaining workouts than the one which is provided by dumbbell, barbell and machine workouts.
• There are no other equipments which can provide so much versatility in one workout.
The benefits of working with medicine balls are numerous, and they provide myriad engrossing movements; hence, you won’t get bored easily with the proven versatility of them. They are a common staple in my workouts that I have with my clients.